May 22,2010- Air India Express Flight 812 a Boeing 737, crashes at Mangalore International Airport after overshooting the runway with 160 passengers and 6 crew members on board. A total of 158 people are killed with just 8 survivors.In the past several similar plane crashes had been happened.
These are some of the most fatal plane crashes in the history.
1. March 27,1977 – KLM Flight 4805 and Pan Am Flight 1736, both Boeing 747s, collide on the runway in the Tenerife disaster (Los Rodeos Airport) Tenerife Canary Islands; 583 of 644 people on board both aircraft are killed in the worst accident in the history of commercial aviation.
2. August 12, 1985 – Japan Air Lines Flight 123, a Boeing 747, crashes into Mount Osutaka after catastrophic failure of the tailplane severs all hydraulic lines and renders the aircraft uncontrollable. 520 of 524 people on board are killed. To date, it is the worst single-aircraft disaster in history.
3.November 12,1996-The 1996 mid-air collision occurred on 12 November 1996 when Saudi Arabian Airlines Flight 763 (SVA 763), a Boeing 747-168B en route from New Delhi, India, to Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, collided in mid-air with Kazakhstan Airlines Flight 1907 (KZK 1907), an Ilyushin Il-76 en route from Shymkent, Kazakhstan to New Delhi, over the village of Charkhi Dadri, Haryana, India. All 349 people on board both flights were killed.
4. March 3, –1974 Turkish Airlines Flight 981, a DC-10, crashes in the Ermenonville forest near Senlis, France after the rear underfloor cargo door opens during flight; all 346 on board die.
5.June 23 ,1985– Air India Flight 182, a Boeing 747, is bombed by Sikh extremists. It crashes into the ocean near Ireland, killing all 329 people on board.
6.August 19,1980– Saudia Flight 163 lands at King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia when a fire breaks out on board; the evacuation of the plane is delayed and all 301 on board die.
7.January 8,1996 – An overloaded Air Africa Antonov An-32 aborts takeoff and overruns into a market in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, killing 297.
8.July 3,1988 – Iran Air Flight 655, an Airbus A300, is shot down over Iranian waters by the missile cruiser USS Vincennes; all 290 people on board are killed.
9.May 25,1979 – American Airlines Flight 191, a McDonnell-Douglas DC-10, crashes on takeoff from O’Hare International Airport after an engine falls off, killing all 271 on board and 2 on the ground; prior to the September 11, 2001 attacks, this was the deadliest airliner occurrence in American history, and it remains the worst single-aircraft airliner accident on US soil.
10.December 21,1988 – Pan Am Flight 103, a Boeing 747, disintegrates in the air over Lockerbie, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland after a terrorist bomb explodes on board. All 259 people on board and 11 on the ground are killed. The incident is also known as the Lockerbie air disaster.
11.September 1,1983 – Korean Air Lines Flight 007, a Boeing 747, is shot down by Soviet fighter planes near Sakhalin and Moneron Island after straying into Soviet airspace; all 269 people on board are killed.
12.April 26, 1994 –China Airlines Flight 140, an Airbus A300, crashes while landing at Nagoya, Japan as a result of pilot error. 264 people of the 271 on board die.
13.July 11,1991 – Nigeria Airways Flight 2120, a Nationair DC-8-61 chartered by Nigeria Airways to transport Nigerian pilgrims to Mecca, crashes shortly after takeoff from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, because of a fire caused by tire failure. All 261 on board die, including 14 Canadian crew members.
14. November 12, 2001– American Airlines Flight 587, an Airbus A300, crashes into a Queens neighborhood in New York City when the plane’s vertical tail fin snaps just after takeoff. All 251 passengers and nine crew members on board are killed as well as five people on the ground.
15.November 28,1979 – Air New Zealand Flight 901, a McDonnell-Douglas DC-10, hits high terrain on Mount Erebus, Antarctica during a sightseeing flight, killing all 257 people on board; becomes known as Mount Erebus Disaster.
16.December 12,1985 – Arrow Air Flight 1285, a Douglas DC-8, crashes after takeoff in Gander, Newfoundland, killing all 256 passengers and crew on board, making it currently the worst air disaster to occur in Canada; the cause is determined to be a stall most likely caused by wing icing.
17.September 26, 1997– Garuda Indonesia Flight 152, an Airbus A300, crashes into a mountain near Buah Nabar, Indonesia killing all 234 on board.
18.July 17,1996 – TWA Flight 800, a Boeing 747, explodes in mid-air above the ocean off East Moriches, New York, killing all 230 people on board.
19.September 2,1998 – Swissair Flight 111, a McDonnell Douglas MD-11, crashes into the sea near Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada, because of an on-board fire. All 229 people on board perish.
20. June 1,2009– Air France Flight 447, an Airbus A330-200 flying from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Paris, France, crashes in the Atlantic Ocean killing all 228 occupants, including 12 crew; bodies and aircraft debris are not recovered until several days later.